Tuesday, July 31, 2012

5/3/1 OHP 1+ Day.



Today was the last day at my current gym before I move to Arizona to begin grad school. I came to Ithaca a little over a year ago with the intention of taking the year off and with the dream of making some serious gains in the gym (after many, many years of stagnation). I surpassed my wildest expectations and it's been a great year of lifting; I doubt I'll have another one like it again.

Anyway, today was 1+ day for the press, with a final weight of 195lbs. I've never done this weight for reps, but since I got 190x6 last cycle I was hoping for 6 reps again today. I surprised myself and got 8. Now my press, like my squat, is super sloppy, but at least I'm consistently sloppy and I'm still making strength gains, so 'whatever' to all that for now.


Goals for today:

155x5
175x3
195x1+

Lifted:

155x5
175x3
195x8


--------------------------------
Week 3 Progress on OHP:

Cycle1:180x4 (bounced)
Cycle2:185x5 (bounced)
Cycle3:185x4
Cycle4:190x6
Cycle5:195x8
--------------------------------




Video of workout below:


8 comments:

  1. Congrats, that's fantastic progress. Out of interest what is your current bodyweight?Also any plans to compete?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you don't mind my asking, what are you studying in grad. school?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jonathan, I'm 190lbs. No plans to compete in the near future.

    Logan, I'll be studying Latin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gabe. I just had a quick question about Smolov as I'll be starting in a couple of weeks to bring my squats up. On your first attempt at the base cycle, did you work off of a true 1rm or were you a little more conservative? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gabe

    Great blog

    I'm also doing 5/3/1 and making good progress I am just interested as to if you follow any type of eating plan for strength gains?

    Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your new blog, Gabe. Count me as subscribed.

    Dude, you have put on some serious strength and size. 5/3/1 works!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're a strong dude, but a number of these are really more push presses than they are military press. I know you said your form is sloppy, but I am thinking you were referring to the lean back during press. Nothing wrong with a push press at all, but are you aware of the difference?

    ReplyDelete