Monday, June 25, 2012

5/3/1 Close Grip Bench. Cycle 1 Week 1.

First time repping 300. Ez Pz. Also, the new shoes are super sticky, I like.


Bench felt amazing today. The bar during warm ups felt like I was having to pull it down to keep it from flying up! That's a good feeling. And my working sets and assistance work felt the effects of this. My final 5/3/1 set was 240lbs and the last time I repped near 240lbs I think I only got 8 reps. Today was much different. And for assistance work I will continue to do heavier doubles and triples as this seems to be working for both OHP and bench. Keep in mind, the heavier sets are not to failure nor are they max attempts, as I think that would be counter-productive.  I tried to do some dumbbell bench work after the close grip benching, but my left shoulder wasn't having any of that. All bench sets supersetted with unweighted chins (this helps with lat activation on the bench sets).

Sorry I don't have much info on bench progress as it's been slow. Also because I only hit prescribed reps for so many cycles after stalling on bench about 6 months ago. Things are moving again now, though. For comparison, the last time I hit 12 reps it was a struggle with 215lbs.

Goals for today:

185x5
210x5
240x5+

Lifted:


185x5
210x5
240x12
300x2
300x2
300x2
300x2

Video of workout below:




No comments:

Post a Comment